LMU Munich shares 39th place with King’s College London to rank 1st among German universities and 8th in Europe in the THE World Reputation Ranking 2021. The top three spots in the ranking of 202 universities were taken by Harvard University followed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Oxford.
The reputation ranking is based on a survey of academics from 128 countries conducted between November 2020 and February 2021. A total of 10,963 scholars responded with their opinion on which institutions offer the best teaching and research in their individual disciplines.
The responses from the World Reputation Ranking, which reflect the subjective views of the academic community, join eleven other indicators to form the foundation of the THE World University Ranking 2021-22, published this September, in which LMU Munich also came out top as the best German university.
LMU Munich was similarly successful in this year's THE World University Rankings by subject :
- Arts & Humanities (#1 in Germany, #18 worldwide)
- Psychology (#1 in Germany, #27 worldwide)
- Life Sciences (#1 in Germany, #28 worldwide)
- Physical Sciences (#2 in Germany, #24 worldwide)
- Clinical & Health (#2 in Germany, #28 worldwide)
- Law (#2 in Germany, #32 worldwide)
- Business & Economics (#2 in Germany, #46 worldwide)
- Computer Science (#2 in Germany, #50 worldwide)
- Education (#2 in Germany, #75 worldwide)
LMU Munich once again emerged as the top German university in the U.S. News 2022 Best Global Universities Rankings, a publication that enjoys a great deal of attention in the United States and also came out late October. The university rose one place in the European rankings to finish 10th this year and retained its 46th spot in the global rankings.