- Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics - Chair of Mathematical Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
- Start date
- as soon as possible
- Application deadline
- 20 Aug 2021
- Remuneration group
- TV-L E 13
- Contract duration
- For the duration of three years and with the possibility of a two-year extension.
The Chair of Mathematical Foundations of Artificial Intelligence seeks applications for a full-time PostDoc position for the duration of three years and with the possibility of a two-year extension.
The Chair of Mathematical Foundations of Artificial Intelligence is a newly founded AI Chair at the Mathematical Institute of the Faculty for Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics and part of the HighTech-Agenda of the Free State of Bavaria in Germany. The research activities at the chair include on the one hand the development of a theory for artificial intelligence, currently in particular for artificial neural networks. On the other hand, the chair’s scientific interests focus also in the development of mathematical methods for solving inverse problems, primarily in the area of imaging, and partial differential equations.The diversity of the chair and its international network offer an excellent opportunity to develop thematically as well as to expand one's own network significantly after the doctorate. In addition, thanks to the Bavarian High-Tech-Agenda, the scientific world in Bavaria and especially in Munich is one of the leading ones worldwide in the field of artificial intelligence with excellent career opportunities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- • You will hold courses of 5 SWS per semester independently and support the chair in the organization and implementation of its courses. Our range of courses is currently being designed, and you can play an active role in shaping this phase.
- You will support research activities in the area of mathematical foundations of artificial intelligence. This includes the publication of results in peer-reviewed scientific journals, the processing and presentation of results as well as the supervision of Bachelor, master and PhD students. You will also have the opportunity to gain initial experience in the acquisition of third-party funding as well as in the management of projects.
- You should have an excellent degree in mathematics, computer science, or a comparable field, as well as an outstanding PhD in the field of mathematical foundations of artificial intelligence or more generally of data science, such as applied harmonic analysis, imaging science, and compressed sensing.
- You should have good programming skills, ideally already in training artificial neural networks.
- The position allows for habilitation.
- We offer a diverse and responsible position.
- You are given the possibility to apply for third party funding and research grants.
- You can actively participate in the development of the new chair.
- You will enjoy an inspiring working atmosphere in a highly international team.
- We offer a workplace in a central location in Munich, which is very easy to reach by public transport.
Also possible in a part-time capacity.
People with disabilities who are equally as qualified as other applicants will receive preferential treatment.
Please submit an electronic application to
Professor Dr. Gitta Kutyniok
Chair of Mathematical Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
Faculty for Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics
with the reference number 05/2021 containing the following documents: cover letter, CV, copies of your certificates, publication list – all in one single pdf-file of not more than 5MB. In addition, we ask for two reference letters, to be sent directly via email by the respective signatory. All application documents should be sent exclusively via email and no later than 20 august 2021.
For preliminary enquiries, feel free to contact Prof. Dr. Gitta Kutyniok.
Where knowledge is everything. Become part of LMU Munich!
LMU researchers work at the highest level on the great questions affecting people, society, culture, the environment and technology — supported by experts in administration, IT and tech.
LMU offers state-of-the-art research infrastructure, an outstanding international network, attractive career opportunities and a broad spectrum of continuing personal development programs. In doing so, LMU supports its members in nurturing their talents and helping to shape their working environment.