Student housing for exchange and visiting students

The Munich Student Union (Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern) provides housing for exchange students. The International Office will handle most of the process for you. Getting a room in student housing is not guaranteed, but there are a number of additional resources to help you find private accommodation.

Applying for student housing

Munich Student Union: Student Accommodation

Read more

The Munich Student Union provides a very limited number of places for exchange students in student housing. This is referred to as the service package. The International Office is responsible for allocating student housing. It is not possible to apply directly to the Student Union.

If you do not wish to apply for a place in student housing or are not participating in any of the above-mentioned programs, please look for accommodation yourself as early as possible. The Munich Student Union or the Jugendinformationszentrum (Youth Information Center) also have resources that can help you to find a place to stay.

Receiving a student housing offer

If you are offered a room in student housing, the Munich Student Union will send you an email with more detailed information about the accommodation as well as a document called an Annahmeerklärung (declaration of acceptance). Please sign this document, return it to the Munich Student Union and transfer three months’ rent plus the deposit (you can find the exact amount in your acceptance letter ). When the Munich Student Union have received the signed document, the room is then reserved for you.

Unsuccessful student housing applications

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee you a room. If we are unable to provide you with student housing, the International Office can help you to find a private room.

Please send a completed application form (PDF, 624 KB) for private accommodation to

What are you looking for?