Short programs for doctoral students

Are you planning a short stay at LMU? Doctoral students can come to LMU for a short-term mobility program within the framework of Erasmus+. Here you will find everything you need to know about requirements, application and your Learning / Short Term Mobility Agreement.

Erasmus+ Short-term Mobility Program for Doctoral Candidates

The search for a supervisor must be carried out in advance on your own initiative; the International Office cannot help with this. You can only apply for registration with LMU for a short-term stay once you have been accepted by a LMU supervisor.

As soon as your participation in the mobility program has been confirmed, please contact the Incoming Erasmus Team at the International Office.

Erasmus+ doctoral students taking part in a short-term mobility program at LMU can be registered as so-called Zweithörer.
With this status, you can attend courses and also complete coursework. Furthermore, you will receive an LMU ID, which gives you access to the LMU IT tools.

The status of a Zweithörer student corresponds to that of a guest auditor; semester fees are therefore not incurred. Unfortunately, the normal benefits for students (e.g. canteen, local public transport) do not apply to Zweithörer students.

An online application must be completed for registration. Please contact the Erasmus Incoming Team at least 6 weeks before the planned start of your stay.

The following documents must be prepared for the application for registration at LMU:

  • Certificate of registration from your home university
  • Copy of your passport or identity card
  • Completed and signed Short-term Mobility Agreement (with confirmation from your home university and the department at LMU)
  • Completed and signed Consent Form (PDF, 118 KB)

You are responsible for ensuring that you have adequate insurance coverage (health, liability and accident insurance) during your stay in Munich.

Further information can be found in the International Student Guide.

Unfortunately not. Accommodation in a hall of residence of the Munich Student Union (Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern) is not possible.

You can find helpful tips on finding accommodation on the private housing market in the International Student Guide or on the list of possible accommodation options (PDF, 116 KB) (PDF, 116 KB).

Whether you need a visa depends on your country of origin and the duration of your study visit. You can find more information in the International Student Guide.

How much money you need each month depends, to a large extent, on how high your rent is. Please read the information on the cost of living in Munich carefully to get a better overview.

What are you looking for?