Registering your address

You must register your place of residence within 14 days of your arrival in Munich. Anyone who settles here is obliged to do so.

Kreisverwaltungsreferat (Department of Public Order)

Read more

You can also register with a temporary address, for example of a boarding house, hostel/hotel, AirBNB or private accommodation. It is important that your name is visible on the letterbox. If the first letter from an official authority, e.g. the tax office, does not reach the recipient, this person is automatically deregistered.

As soon as you have registered your place of residence, you will receive your registration certificate. You will need this certificate in order to enroll at LMU – and also for other important things such as opening a bank account or applying for an internet connection.

For Munich addresses, you need to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt (Resident Registration Office) at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat, KVR (Department of Public Order):

Ruppertstraße 19
+49 89 2339-6000

How to get there

  • Subway line (U-Bahn) U3 or U6, Poccistraße station
  • Bus line 31, Poccistraße stop

Please note that you must book an appointment for all matters.

If you live outside of Munich, you can register at your local municipal office. Please use the Bayern-Tool should you be unsure of which municipality you should register with. If you enter your post code when selecting your "location", the respective authority will appear. By the way, you can change the language settings to English.

What you will need

  • A registration form (Meldeschein) is available at the Einwohnermeldeamt, or, for Munich,a registration form can be downloaded.
  • Valid passport (non-EU citizens) or ID card (EU/EEA citizens)
  • Visa (if required for entry into Germany)
  • Rental agreement/lease (Mietvertrag)

If you change your address or name while you’re here, you also need to re-register.
When saying goodbye to return home, please notify the Einwohnermeldeamt — this is called abmelden. The Abmeldung can be done in person or in writing, and a de-registration form can be downloaded.

What are you looking for?