Residence permit

International students, except those from the EU and the EEA, are required to obtain a residence permit or "Aufenthaltserlaubnis" to stay in Germany longer than three months. This differs from your student visa, and you should apply for the permit only after arriving in Munich and enrolling at LMU.

Students from the EU and the EEA

If you’re from an EU (European Union) or EEA (European Economic Area) country, you don’t need a residence permit. You just need to register your local address just like German citizens.

All other international students

In most cases, students with student visas will need to obtain a residence permit. Exchange students usually have a different type of visa and do not require a residence permit. If you're not sure if you need a residence permit, contact the German Embassy or German Consulate in your home country.

This permit is issued by the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners Office) in each district. In the City of Munich, the Ausländerbehörde is at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat or KVR (Department of Public Order).

If you are living in one of the 29 districts and towns in the greater Munich area (Landkreis München) you have to go to the District Office Munich (Landratsamt München) to get your residence permit.

Just like a visa, a residence permit is issued only if you are pursuing a specific study program at LMU. If you switch majors, interrupt your studies, or withdraw from the University, your permit may become invalid. Your permit may also be revoked if you can’t complete your studies within a reasonable and expected period of time.

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers detailed information on entry and residence for international students and scholars within Germany in German, English, and Spanish. If you don’t find your answer here, we suggest calling the KVR outside of visiting hours to keep things simple.

How to apply for the residence permit

If you are entering Germany with a student visa — and not with a visa for exchange purposes issued for on e year — you’ll need to apply for your residence permit within three months of your arrival. You will have to bring a lot of documents, but don’t worry about managing all these bureaucratic responsibilities — from mid-September to mid-December there are student assistants on site (at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat, KVR) hired by the LMU International Office and the Technical University of Munich to guide you through the process.

Since the KVR is generally really busy, we recommend that you get there when they open and bring along a fully charged smartphone or book, as there will almost certainly be a wait.

Residence permit checklist:

  • A completed form entitled Antrag auf Erteilung bzw. Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels (application for or renewal of a residence permit) which you can pick up in various languages at the Ausländerbehörde without having to stand in line, or download the PDF.
  • A valid passport
  • A valid student visa, if required
  • A passport photo (be aware that the passport photo style in Germany may be different from that of your home country)
  • Proof of registration at LMU Munich (Student ID)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Confirmation of registration of your local address (Anmeldebestätigung)
  • The required fee (residence permit for more than one year: 110 euros; renewal of a residence permit for more than three months: up to 100 euros)
  • Proof of financial support or at least minimum adequate resources (Finanzierungsnachweis). The legal minimum increases each year but is about 10,332 euros annually. To find out the exact figure, please consult the relevant pages published by the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR). Forms of proof include:
    • Proof of a fellowship or scholarship awarded by a German organization or an organization recognized by the German authorities
    • A bank statement from a savings account indicating that you have funds to the amount equivilent of one year’s financial support
    • Proof of a commitment to pay (Verpflichtungserklärung) — more information available at the KVR

Where to apply for your residence permit

Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR), Amt für Ausländerangelegenheiten
Ruppertstraße 19
80337 München

Subway line (U-Bahn) U3 or U6, Poccistraße station
Bus line 31, Poccistraße stop

Special offices for international students:

Office hours:
Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.; Friday: 7 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Extended hours Tuesday: 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.

For more information, see the Kreisverwaltungsreferat.

If you live elsewhere in the greater Munich area, you must visit the District Office Munich:

Landratsamt München
Mariahilfplatz 17
81547 München

Tel: +49 89 6221 0

Office hours:
Open daily from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., with additional hours on Thursday from 2 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Landratsamt München (in German)

What are you looking for?