Working in Germany

Thinking of getting a job while you’re a student to top up your bank account or prepare for the future? We want to help make sure you understand all the rules and regulations before you do so.

Below, we offer a brief outline of the policies concerning working in Germany. If you should have more questions, we recommend you check the information provided by the Bavarian State Ministry of Education, Science and the Arts, and consult the official offices that oversee work done by international visitors. In Munich this is called the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners Office) and it's located at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat, KVR (Department of Public Order).

LMU Career Services supports international students with a wide range of counseling services, seminars and career events to help them gain a foothold in the German job market.

EU and EEA nationals

If you’re from the EU, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, you have the same status as German students and can work as much as you want. If you work beyond certain time and wage limits, you do have to pay taxes, and your employer has to contribute to your insurance, so check out the Bundesagentur für Arbeit (German Federal Employment Agency) website or ask the KVR for more information.

Other international students

Since 2005, the international student residence permit allows students to do a certain amount of work without an additional work permit, but please check with the Bundesagentur für Arbeit or ask the KVR for more information because these guidelines can change.


  • International students may work up to 120 working days or 240 half-days a year without an additional work permit. This is noted on the residence permit sticker in your passport.
  • International students who do not come from the EU cannot be self-employed or work freelance.
  • International students employed by their university as student assistants (Studentische Hilfskraft/HiWi) within the University or at affiliated institutes do not have time restrictions as long as their studies are not impaired. Nevertheless the Ausländerbehörde at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat, KVR must be informed if you wish to work as an academic or student assistant.
  • Internships and jobs required by a degree program are also free from permit restrictions and are not counted as part of the 120 permit-free days.
  • Voluntary internships and other jobs that exceed 120 days have to be approved. Go to the KVR first, and they will give you further information.

Breaking the law

Breaking the law is serious, and working without a permit, known as Schwarzarbeit, is taking a huge risk. If you’re caught, you can easily lose your residence permit and be sent home. Please don’t do it! If you have questions, just ask.

For more information

Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR), Amt für Ausländerangelegenheiten
Ruppertstraße 19
80337 München
U-Bahn U3 or U6 or Bus 31 to Poccistrasse

Munich Foreigners Office

Job listings

  • On the LMU Career Services job board you will find working student positions, internships, part-time jobs and permanent positions in Germany and abroad.
  • The Jobcafe, a job recruiting service for students, cooperates with Munich Student Union (Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern) to offer students and alumni one-day job opportunities, as well as temporary and sometimes longer-term employment. It operates in the LMU Mensa building:

    Leopoldstraße 13
    80802 München
    Tel: +49 89 2731-2570

What are you looking for?