- Department / Institute
- Department for Vascular Surgery
- Subject area
- Aorta, Endovascular Aortic surgery
- Name of supervisor
- Prof. Dr. Nikolaos Tsilimparis
- Number of open positions
- Project title
- Artificial intelligence assisted follow-up of sac volume, diameter and endoleaks in complex aortic aneurysm repair
- Language requirements
- Fluency in English
- Academic requirements
- 4-year Bachelor's plus Master's degree; preferably clinical experience in vascular surgery
- Study model
- Full doctoral study model: 36 or 48 months
Study rationale: Measurements of aneurysm size and morphological characteristics after endovascular aortic repair may be complex and time-consuming. Physicians often find themselves compromising quality of imaging evaluation to tackle the high number of visiting patients. Newer software using artificial intelligence, could be used to shorten the time a physician spends evaluating Follow-up CT scans and potentially even eliminate hand-made measurements. Such a process requires validation and deep learning for the respective software to become more efficient.
Study objectives The aim of this study is to use a dedicated software to validate the results of automated, AI-assisted measurements of the preoperative and postoperative CT scans after endovascular aortic repair regarding maximal diameter and sac volume at different segments, as well as the presence of endoleaks.
Study design and plan
- Retrospective/prospective study comparing peri-operative measurements of physicans to the results of the automated AI assisted measurements for postoperative CT scans.
- Endpoints: measurement of endoleaks, aneurysm sac progression, total aortic sac volume