1852

On the recommendation of Max von Pettenkofer, Justus von Liebig receives a Chair at LMU.

Frontale Luftaufnahme des Maximilianeums

The appointment of the internationally renowned chemist Justus von Liebig (1803–1873) to a Chair at LMU in 1852 was in no small measure due to Max von Pettenkofer. Prior to this, Liebig had long held a professorship in Giessen. In Munich the focus of his work shifted from basic to applied research. His lectures, given in the laboratory that had been built for him beside his private residence, were extremely popular, and were even attended by members of the royal family, which turned them into highlights of the social calendar.