The principle behind accepting high-school graduates from outside Germany to study at a university in Bavaria is to accept applicants who would be entitled to a position in the degree program of interest in his or her country of origin. This means that the applicant has the appropriate level of knowledge to enable them to study at a Bavarian university.
Graduates of the following schools do not need to apply to have their qualification recognized:
- German schools abroad that are recognized by the Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, and are authorized to offer the German qualifications of Abitur (German higher education entrance qualification) and Reifeprüfung (another form of German school leaving examination).
- European schools that offer the European Baccalaureate certificate.
- German-French high schools established on the basis of the agreement between the Federal Republic of Germany and the French Republic, that offer the bilingual German-French Abitur.
- International French schools, for students that passed the German part of the "option internationale" of the French Baccalauréat.
- International Shape Schools (German department), Belgium, in connection with the certificate of the International Department.
- International AFCENT schools (German department), the Netherlands.
- The German School in Istanbul for Turkish students who passed the examination to obtain the German general university entrance qualification.
- German schools in Athens and Thessaloniki, for students who passed the supplementary examination to the final certificate of the Lykeion (Apolytirion) in connection with the final certificate of the Lykeion (Apolytirion)
- Staatliche Spezialgymnasien (deutschsprachige Abteilungen) in den Staaten Mittel-, Ost- und Südeuropas (Allgemeine Hochschulreife)
All other university entrance qualifications must be formally recognized by the relevant authority responsible for certifications.
General qualifications for university entrance
Qualifications submitted by international applicants that were issued by foreign institutions are assessed by the LMU International Office, in collaboration with the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle (Qualification Recognition Office).
Subject-specific higher education entrance qualification
Qualifications submitted by international applicants that were issued by foreign institutions are assessed by the LMU International Office, in collaboration with the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle.
Other foreign academic qualifications
Qualifications submitted by EU/EEA applicants that were issued by foreign institutions are assessed by the LMU International Office, in collaboration with the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle.