Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions about studying with a disability or impairment.

Who to contact

Prof. Dr. Ulrich Heimlich, our Disability Representative, his deputy Dr. Gabriele Wimböck and the Office for Disability Services (Romy Hoche) will be happy to take your questions and support you with any concerns.

If you have questions regarding planning and organizing your studies, or if you require support or technical aids (such as help with everyday life, completing your studies, etc.), please contact Advisory Services.

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for students that change subjects, re-register to study or take a leave of absence. You can find them here:

University Main Building
Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1
Room group E011 and E114

Regular opening hours:

  • Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays: 8.30 - 12 a.m. (appointment tickets are issued until 11.30 a.m.)
  • Thursdays 1.30 - 3.30 p.m. (appointment tickets are issued until 3 p.m.)

Students with severe disabilities will receive priority. Your leave of absence does not count towards the total length of your studies. Further information about study leave of absence.

LMU employees can contact the Representation for Severely Disabled People:

Alexandra Herrmann
Coulombwall 1
85748 Garching
Tel: +49 89 2891-4039


Markus Ludwig
Representative for Severely Disabled People at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, Ref. VI.2
Martiusstraße 4
80802 München
Tel: +49 89 2180-5786


Detailed information can be found on our page compensation for disadvantages.

  • You can apply for an extra time allowance of 25 - 50 percent on time-dependent study performance, examination performance or assessments that count towards your final examinations. Of course, time extensions are only some of the countermeasures available. A number of disabilities require additional compensation. If this is the case, you can (additionally) apply for individual compensation for disadvantages (such as use of writing aids, or separate examination rooms etc.).
  • The application for compensation for disadvantages must be submitted to the relevant examination office together with a medical certificate.
  • After the Examination Office has given its approval, you will receive a letter which you should show to your lecturers in good time before each examination. This letter entitles you to claim compensation for disadvantages and, in order to protect your privacy, does not contain any diagnoses or other personal details. Your study report will not show that you were granted compensation for disadvantages either.

When you can foresee needing longer than the maximum duration for your studies, you should get in contact with the examination office responsible for you or contact Advisory Services.

Extensions to your study period are generally possible, but they are not granted on a preventive or "reserve" basis. This means that—as a rule—you will only be granted an extension of one or two semesters when there is a probable or foreseeable delay that is justified.

Yes. Typically, financing beyond the maximum funding period is possible upon request.Munich Student Union (Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern) is responsible for matters regarding BAföG and advice on seeking other sources of financial support.

Munich Student Union has some places in their student housing that are equipped for disabled living. You can apply (even before you start your studies) for special dormitory accommodation as well as for regular dormitory accommodation via the Munich Student Union using the hardship application form.

Everyday student life

No, we're afraid not. Despite severe disability or chronic illness the following rule applies: You must always have submitted an application for compensation for disadvantages before the examination or written test. To be sure of not missing any deadlines, this application should be submitted ideally at the beginning of your studies or at the beginning of the semester.

The Office for Disability Services offers some aids for students. See also technical aids for loan.

You can apply for temporary aids—and those required for longer periods—as well as for assistance (such as a sign language interpreter or typist) via the Local Social Welfare Office, District of Upper Bavaria.

What are you looking for?