You’re getting ready to say Gute Reise! In the midst of all the excitement, it’s important to prepare for your departure carefully. Trying to obtain necessary documents from your home country after you have arrived in Germany can be difficult and time-consuming.
In addition to doing some preliminary research on housing, we recommend you gather the following documents while still at home:
- A passport / identity card that is valid for the duration of your stay in Germany
- A student visa (or a visa for exchange), if necessary (check your local German consulate or embassy)
- Written confirmation of your health insurance coverage from your health insurance provider. This confirmation must include an itemized description of the illnesses and treatments covered and the monetary limits on such coverage (exception: EU-countries). Regulations vary, so take a look at the insurance section for details.
- Proof of personal liability insurance (not required, but recommended)
- Proof of admission to your program at LMU
- All necessary documents for your registration at LMU
- Written confirmation that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself while in Germany (using bank statements, notarized letter of support, etc.)
- Roughly eight passport photos that you will use for your residence permit and other official documents
Congratulations on making the trip. We’re happy to have you here! Grab a bite to eat and your calendar. Here’s a list (with timeline) of what you can do next to make sure you’re ready for the start of your program at LMU:
Should it be your time to leave us, don’t forget there are still some things to do before departing Munich (saying goodbye being one of them!). Not to worry — we’ve prepared a final checklist to be sure you get everything done. Most importantly, we wish you the best of luck. Promise you’ll come back and visit us sometime. Anyway, here's that list:
- Pick up any course certificates, papers, or examination results
- If necessary, prepare your transcript documentation
- Cancel your room or apartment lease
- Close your bank account
- Cancel your telephone and any utility accounts in your name
- Inform the Einwohnermeldeamt personally or in writing that you're leaving Munich permanently (abmelden)
- Exmatriculate from LMU Munich
- Remember to say goodbye!
When you return home, we know you’ll take many good memories — maybe even a souvenir or two! If so, you can find plenty of LMU gear and keepsakes in the LMU shop at Leopoldstraße 13, ground floor. It was great to have you here in Munich, and we hope you’ll stay in touch with your new friends.