deadline for a change of subject concerning the Winter Semester 2021/22 has already passed. As soon as the dates and deadlines for the Summer Semester 2022 are available, you will find all the necessary information and documents on this page. The
At the time of your registration, you chose a degree program (in the case of a double major, you chose two degree programs). As soon as you would like to make a change regarding your choice of a degree program (e.g. change the degree program, change the major or minor, or add an additional subject for a teacher education program, etc.), it is considered a change of subject. The general term change of subject also refers to registering for a different degree program upon earning a degree in another one (e.g. registering for a master`s degree program or pursing a doctorate) as well as changing in order to improve a previously earned grade.
One specific requirement for changing a degree program is that at the time you submit your request you must be currently registered as a student at LMU Munich and your continuation of registration for the following semester must already be completed (that is, your semester fees were received by LMU Munich`s account and there are no further obstacles to your continuation of registration, e.g. a missing formal proof of health insurance coverage). To confirm whether your continuation of registration was completed, please verify your account balance via the online self-service function.
You may request a change of subject before the deadline during the specified time frame. A change of subject can no longer be performed once the deadline has passed. The only exception are students who either passed their final examination or failed their examination at the last and final attempt during that particular semester.
Please submit the following documents
- Request form
- If you did not earn a university entrance qualification, please submit your degree(s) earned regarding your subject-specific university entrance qualification as a copy.
- If you are changing to a nationally or locally restricted-admission degree program: the notification of admission issued by the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung or the University as a copy.
- If you are changing to a degree program requiring an aptitude assessment: confirmation that you passed the aptitude assessment as a copy.
- If you are changing to a degree program requiring pre-registration or mandatory self-assessment test: confirmation of pre-registration or Studienorientierungsverfahren issued by the faculty as a copy.
- If you are transferring to a higher subject-specific semester: confirmation of transfer credits issued by the respective examination office as a copy.
- If you are registering for a doctoral degree program or another postgraduate degree program: your previously awarded degree in the degree program which constitutes the legal qualification prerequisite for the new degree program as a copy as well as a notification issued by the respective faculty (doctoral committee, examination office, etc.) regarding the availability of the statutory qualification prerequisites as a copy.
- If upon completion of your doctoral studies you intend to request a change of degree program, you are required to submit the proof of health insurance coverage!
- If you are registering for a master's degree program: the previously awarded degree* in the degree program which constitutes the legal qualification prerequisite for the new degree program as a copy as well as a notification issued by the respective faculty (examination office, etc.) regarding the availability of the statutory qualification prerequisites as a copy.
Please note: Students may only register for a different degree program upon passing their final examination once the respective examination office notifies the Office of the University Registrar that the examination was passed.
Exception: *If the degree earned is unavailable at the time the request for the master's degree program is submitted, then
- in the case that the student completed/will complete all examinations during the previous semester - however, the degree has not yet been awarded at the time the request for a change of subject is submitted - then instead of a degree awarded the student may submit a notification issued by the respective examination office stating that the last examination was completed at the latest by the end of the previous semester (the examination office of the university which will award/awarded the bachelor’s degree is responsible for issuing this notification).
- in the case that the student submits a request for a master’s degree program - although there are still some ECTS credits missing which must be completed simultaneously in order for the bachelor’s degree to be awarded - then instead of a degree awarded the examination office must issue a statement confirming that the required credits will be completed within one year (the examination office of the university which will award the bachelor’s degree is responsible for issuing this statement).
Students who are requesting a change of subject in the law degree program for the purpose of improving their grade, please also refer to this information sheet (PDF, 99 KB) (German).
Further information for international students at LMU’s International Office.
responsible for the content of this page: Office of the University Registrar